RSS

Monday, January 31, 2011



Hi everybody, here is are some examples of Reported Speech, I wasn't easy but here they are.

Quoted Speech to Reported Speech.
1) He has just asked me, "Who will come to the movies with me?" 1) He has just asked me who will come to the movies with him.
2) He has just asked me, "Will you be at home tonight?" 2) He has just asked me if I will be at home that night.
3) He has just asked me, "Is it time to go?" 3) He has just asked me if it is time to go.
4) He asked me, "Where are you going?" 4) He asked me where I was going.
5) She asked me, "Does he always come so late?" 5) She asked me if he always came so late.
6) He asked her, "How did you do that?" 6) He asked her how she had done that.
7) He asked me, "Is it raining?" 7) He asked me if it was raining.
8) She asked him, "Have the children come from school? 8) She asked him if the children had come from school.
9) He asked me, "How old are you?" 9) He asked me how old I was.
10) She asked me, "Why didn't you come here yesterday?" 10) She asked me why had I not come there the day before.
11) He asked me, "Do you know how far it is to the station?" 11) He asked me if I knew how far it was to the station.
12) He asked me, "Where are you going?" 12) He asked me where I was going.
13) She asked me, "How long have you been learning English? 13) She asked me how long I had been learning English.
14) She asked her, "Did anybody call this morning?" 14) She asked her if somebody called that morning.
15) I asked him, "Can you meet me tomorrow?" 15) I asked him if he could meet me the day after.
16) She asked me, "May I open the window?" 16) She asked me if she might open the window.
17) He asked her, "Why can't you answer this question at once?" 17) He asked her why couldn't she answer that question at once.
18) She asked me, "Would you like to see the garden?" 18) She asked me if I would like to see the garden.
19) I asked him, "What will you do if you miss the train?" 19) I asked him what he would do if he missed the train.
20) He asked the manager, "At what price were the two shipments of merchandize sold yesterday?" 20) He asked the manager at what price the two shipments of merchandize had been sold that day.

Thanks to Mr. Fedorenko now the examples are correct. : D

3 comments:

Mr. E. Fedorenko said...

Wow! Thanks Patricia! I think you've helped some students, especially those who were absent. By the way, #20 should be this way: He asked the manager at what price the two shipments of merchandise had been sold that day. That is, in reported speech, we use direct word order. And 19: All the verb tenses should be changed: I asked him what he would do if he missed the train.

Mr. E. Fedorenko said...

By the way, I like your paintings! They are beautiful.

BucciPatricia said...

thank you Mr. Fedorenko, It is always good to be corrected, specially if I want to be an interpreter or teacher in the future, you know? I'll correct them right now! See you at class!!! and thank you for the complement, I like to paint and I'll continue in a few days! I'll keep you posted!

Post a Comment